Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 12:55:40 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   jail(8) Honeypots

I searched the mail archive and read the jail(8) manpage and was
surprised not to see any discussion of using jail for a honeypot,
an IDS. If I understand things correctly, one of the primary
motivations for the jail command is to isolate potentially exploitable
daemons and other programs so any damage done by an attacker is
minimized. It seems to me that it is such a logical extension to run a
_known_ exploitable process in a jail then watch for and document
attacks from outside that some people out there must be doing it.

So, is anyone out there doing this? Have any hints, gotchas, or really
cool ideas to share about setting a system like this up? It seems that
there are lots of possiblilities. One good box could look like
multiple machines running the same or different exploitable programs
to an attacker.

If no one out there is, I am going to give it a shot anyway. I'd still
appreciate any ideas.