Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:57:05 -0500
From:      Joe Royce <joe@team7.cba.ualr.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel problem building from 3.4 stable to 4.X stable

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:07:24PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:35:16 +1000 (EST), andrew@ugh.net.au
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >> When I get to the point of building the kernel I get a number
> >> of syntax errors and the last line reports:
> >> Specify machine type, e.g. ``machine vax''
> >
> >I got this when I accidently cvsuped 3-STABLE rather than 4-STABLE on a
> >4.0-RELEASE box. Have you rebuilt config?
>
> What do you mean by "Have you rebuilt config?"

When upgrading from 3.x to 4.0 stable you must rebuild config(8) and
genassym(8) prior to rebuilding a new kernel. See below.

> I am following the instructions from UPDATING
> I am trying to build the new kernel the same way I have built my
> previous kernels when staying stable.
>
> To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
> --------------------------------
> <see notes below>
> cd /usr/src
> <see notes below>
> make buildworld
> cd sbin/mknod
> make install
> cd ../../sys/modules
> make install
> <follow directions build.. kernel>   <---I am there

An alternative method of building a kernel is:

cd /usr/src/usr.bin/genassym
make depend all install clean
cd ../../usr.sbin/config
make depend all install clean
cd ../../sys/i386/conf
config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
make depend && make
make install

Then continue with the rest of the instructions.
HTH, Joe.