Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:22:48 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Totally Off Topic] Zone Xfers from ISP

How widespread is the practice of restricting zone transfers from
registered DNS servers? I've always restricted detailed DNS info from
internal domains, but only recently dug a bit deeper into the more
sparse records we put into the outside world.

I would say I was quite surprised to find that some ISP servers, who
are the secondaries to our master, are wide open for transfers. Others
were pretty well locked down.

Before we go marching, well, phoning anyway, in to the ISPs with loose
rules ranting about their insecure DNS config, I want to find out if
they are going to laugh and say that's how everybody does it. DNS
records are public. Transfers are a free giveaway, but all info in the
record is accessible by one means or another.

What is the "standard of service?"