Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 23:47:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: invlpg produces strange sig11 on PentiumPro box

On 01-Jul-00 Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <200007010750.AAA02229@mass.osd.bsdi.com>, Mike Smith writes:
>>> In message <20000701012941S.kato@gneiss.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>, KATO Takenori writ
>>> es:
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Please Mike, just because you see my name you shouldn't take a contrary
> positition until you have actually looked into matters.
>
> Look at the first paragraph:  This is for Pentium Pro cpus running
> in motherboards where the BIOS does not contain the needed microcode
> updates.

*ahem*  You might want to read the first paragraph as well.  It is
for situations where one _can't_ update one's BIOS.  I don't see why
making it a tweakable kernel compile time know that is off by
default would be so incredibly bad.  We have precedents already for
this type of thing.  And yes, in this case, the CPU is not performing
as advertised.