Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alterations to vops

:> Can you elaborate on the problem you are describing?  I'm not sure
:> I understand besideds certain processes being able to hog the
:> buffercache and filesystems.
:
:The problem lies, as I understand it (ask Feldman for details) in that a
:find(1) or similar process will cause a lot of work to be done in kernel
:space, which means the scheduler is not going to clamp down on it. Also,
:it apparently hogs buffercache and I/O bandwidth. Changing these VOPs to
:be incremental would solve the problem.
:
:Marius

    I don't think it's that at all.  Obviously find and cvsup eat a lot
    of *DISK* bandwidth -- all from seeking.  The actual *I/O* bandwidth
    is very low (probably less then 1MByte/sec), but the disk is saturated.

    So I don't think we are blowing up any caches.

    What may be happening here is stalling in namei().  find and cvsup
    are very heavy on path lookups and that combined with seek latency
    on the drive could result in filesystem locks on directories being
    held for much longer periods of time then normal.  Any other process
    trying to 'open' a file (verses reading or writing an already-open file)
    would start to stall.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>