Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:56:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        Alan Batie <batie@rdrop.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: load balancing

> Luigi> I have some plans to implement a load balancer a-la Cisco
> Luigi> LocalDirector for FreeBSD, but this requires one machine to sit
> Luigi> between clients and servers.
>
> Problem with having a single machine as the balancer is that you
> inject a single point of failure.  IMHO the balancer must support some
> kind of failover to a twin balancer box, or better, share load between
> the two balancers if they're both up.

having a machine acting as hot-backup is trivial as long as
you tolerate that during the crash recovery (an unlikely event)
all active sessions will drop and need to restart.

The "better" solution (of sharing load among balancers) comes too close
to using a fully distributed solution for which i am afraid i
do not have in mind a solution that can give good fairness (in
terms of load distribution among the servers) and scalability.

	cheers
	luigi