Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 23:11:56 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Version question/request

I have a version question/request.

I'd like to create a script that runs in /etc/security that will
produce output like the following:

YOUR SYSTEM HAS THE FOLLOWING PORTS THAT HAVE KNOWN SECURITY ISSUES IN
THE VERSION YOU ARE RUNNING:
	woofootd (have 2.1 need 2.2)
	qpooper (have 2.98 need 3.11)
etc

This works great most of the time, however there are times that it
doesn't work.  Those times are where we've either F'ed up a patch so
there's a security hole or we patch it with a patch-xx file before the
author can issue a new release.  In these cases when the problem is
fixed, I'd love the version number to change with (or soon after) the
security patch goes into the tree.

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to do the version number part
of this?  I was thinking of adding a known suffix like "-S1" for the
first security fix "-S2" for the second, etc.  Then when the author
fixes it and generates his own version, the suffix goes away.  This
would give us wu-ftpd-2.6.1-S2 which will sort after 2.6.1 but before
2.6.2.  Hmmm, that does assume that the author fixes it in his/her/its
next release, so maybe some other tag is needed.

Comments?

Warner