Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:31:47 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Color ls

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 01:08:41AM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>
> > joe@cuddy[503]: export TERM=xterm-color
> > joe@cuddy[504]: vi
> > xterm-color: Unknown terminal type
> > Visual needs addressable cursor or upline capability
> > :q
> > joe@cuddy[505]: uname -a
> > SunOS cuddy 5.6 Generic_105181-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
>
> That's not the issue.
>
> What we want to do is have TERM=xterm be the same as xterm-color
> is now.
>
> If you log in to a FreeBSD box from your Sun, and *then* set
> TERM=xterm-color and run things on the FreeBSD box, do the color
> escape sequences screw anything up?

Yes.  Any program that expects colour to work.

The correct fix here is to tell your xterms to identify themselves as
xterm-color.  This will then proceed to break anyone that wants to use an
xtern to talk to a system that doesn't know what xterm-color is.

The more correct fix here is to stop worrying about fucking colourised ls
output and focus on the seventeen dozen more important things that need
your angst.