Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:09:59 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc Makefile src/include Makefile src/release Makefile src/release/picobsd/build Makefile.mfs src/release/picobsd/custom Makefile.mfs src/release/picobsd/dial Makefile.mfs src/release/picobsd/install Makefile.mfs

In message <20000723152933.A87987@freebsd.org> "Andrey A. Chernov" writes:
: I am not sure I suggest right fix, but 'make world' definitely works before
: imp@freebsd.org mtree Makefile changes, so this is not -L problem at all.

MAKE WORLD WAS BROKEN BEFORE I DID THE MTREE MAKEFILE CHANGES.
BUILDING FROM A -STABLE SYSTEM DID NOT WORK AT ALL.  IT BROKE WHEN WE
TRIED TO BUILD MTREE, LESS THAN 1 MINUTE INTO A MAKE BUILDWORLD ON ANY
-STABLE OR 4.0R MACHINE.

Ah, now that I'm done shouting...

There are several problems here.  First, someone move the strtofflag
back into libc, which broke the ability to build mtree on older
systems.  Second, mtree was broken to be incompatible with the old way
of doing things so the -L flag was added to it and integrated into the
build.  Third, older systems didn't have mtree -L on them, so it was
added to the list of build toold.  When it was added to the list of
build tools, it would then fail to build on the older systems.  So, I
went it and got a big club and committed a change to make the damn
thing compile on older (read 4.0R and -stable) systems.

Warner