Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:25:17 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        John Michelini <John1mick@cs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pedantic PPP Primer clarification

Hi John-

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 07:10:12PM -0700, John Michelini wrote:
> 1)(From Verifying the Ethernet Interface Configuration) Reminder: If your
> Ethernet card isn't named 'ed0', specify the correct device name here
> instead.
>
> My question: How can I find the correct device name if Ethernet isn't yet
> configured (and not displayed with ifconfig -a)?

Assuming you have the correct driver compiled into the kernel, running
"dmesg" should give you the device name. For example, my dmesg output has:

ep0: <3Com 3C509-TP EtherLink III> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 7 on isa0
ep0: Ethernet address 00:a0:24:d8:0a:b3

in it.

> 2) Will I run into problems if I use the example IP addresses in the Primer
> for Creating the List of LAN hosts (in the /etc/hosts directory) for my
> hosts?

Nope; 192.168.* addresses are specifically reserved for private networks,
so you can use them without problems.

Eric