Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:46:35 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "can't load kernel" after build/install world/kernel

> From: "Russell D. Murphy Jr." <rdmurphy@knock.econ.vt.edu>
> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> I seem to have shot myself in the foot.  I ran cvsup, buildworld,
> installworld, buildkernel, and installkernel yesterday on my laptop as
> well as my desktop.  The laptop will no longer boot FreeBSD; the
> desktop is fine.  The laptop shows:
>
>    F1   DOS
>    F2   FreeBSD
>
>    Default: F2
>
>    BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
>    Console: internal video/keryboard
>    BIOS drive A: is disk0
>    BIOS drive C: is disk1
>    BIOS 639kB/64448kB available memory
>
>    FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
>    (root@clifden.econ.vt.edu, Mon Jul 24 14.53.22 EDT 2000)
>
>    Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key ofr command prompt.
>    Booting [kernel]...
>    can't load 'kernel'
>    can't load 'kernel.old'
>
>    ok ls
>    open '/' failed: no such file or directory
>    ok lsdev
>    disk @0x10738
>    disk0: BIOS drive A
>    disk1: BIOS drive C
>    pxe @ 0xe4dc
>
> The machine boots up in W95.
>
> The machine was running 4.0-Stable from a few weeks ago.
>
> I have a script which runs the sequence of build/install steps; the
> script on the laptop stopped because the laptop was running under a
> different machine name than usual and so the script did not find the
> kernel config file.  I ran buildkernel and installkernel by hand for
> my kernel config file and for GENERIC.  I believe I followed the
> UPDATING instructions (but something's not working, so I probably
> missed something).
>
> Any suggestions?

You say you did a buildkernel. Did you specify a kernel name? If not,
you can try GENERIC.

Boot to the boot prompt ("ok") and enter "boot GENERIC -s". That
should load and boot a kernel named 'GENERIC'. If you specified a
kernel name to buildkernel and installkernel, use that name in place
of 'GENERIC'.

You can always boot this way, although, if the 'kernel' file exists,
you need to so an 'unload' before booting.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)