Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:43:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        schluntz@workofstone.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with natd and simple firewall

In some mail from schluntz@timberwolf.workofstone.net, sie said:

> >> 	one significant advantage of ipfw over FW1, aside from cost,
> >> is that ipfw can test on which interface a packet arrives and/or
> >> leaves.  as far as i know, in FW1 its not possible to act upon packets
> >> based upon which interface the packet hits.  imagine wanting to screen
> >> (spoofed) packets with the inside IP addresses arriving on the outside
> >> interface. ;(
> >
> >If you're using FW-1 on Solaris, you can use IP Filter to do filtering
> >before FW-1 in case you don't trust FW-1 :-)
>
> Or, if you really don't trust FW-1 on Solaris (but need some of it's
> functionality and like a second layer of protection) put a Cicso (or
> prefurably a FreeBSD box running ipfw) in front of it blocking all of
> the hainus stuff and just let the FW-1 box do some of the granularity.
>
> This also protects your FW-1 box from some of the FW-1 related attacks.

If you want to "add security" then you put in place something like a box
with FWTK or Gauntlet.  Layering packet filters does not add a second
layer of protection, IMHO, just lets you stop FW-1 from crashing >;-)
But you'd only use ipfw if you didn't know how to run up ipfilter in any
case :-)

Darren