Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:52:10 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Host-only networking and NAT?

Suppose you want to run VMWARE on your FreeBSD 4.0 system and have it
"share" your system's IP address.  Or suppose you want to have VMWARE
use a static address on the same lan as your FBSD system, but you
can't use bridged networking (because FBSD4.0 doesn't support it.)

Seems like you should be able to use NAT for this, right?  But I've
followed the instructions:

  - Re-build the ipfw module with -DIPDIVERT

  - Turned on forwarding

  - Config IPFW with:

  /sbin/ipfw -f flush
  /sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via xl0
  /sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

  - Start natd with the -n xl0 option.

And *no* traffic moves, not even normal xl0 traffic destined to
adjacent nodes.  If I delete the divert rule, traffic starts moving
again (but, of course, no nat happens).

It seems like this should work somehow, but I'm obviously confused.

Does anyone do this sort of thing with VMWare?

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com