Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:56:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA66 support

It seems Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 07:29:30PM +0200, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> > It seems j mckitrick wrote:
> > >
> > > A friend of a friend asked me to find out how ATA66 support was coming
> > > along.  Is it still necessary to disable DMA or PIO settings for it to work?
> >
> > ATA66 has been working for quite some time now. Beware that there are
> > some disks that claim to be able to do ATA66 but actually can't.
> > Beware of Maxtor and WD disks in this regard. I can recommend IBM
> > drives, they work very well...
>
> I can confirm, that for example the Tyan Titan Pro has chipsets
> builtin that doesn't grok ATA66.

Ehm, you mean because the HW design on the board is broken, or
because the chip hasn't ATA66 support ?
I the first case there is nothing we can do about it, in the
second case we will utilize what the chip can...

> I met somebody who programmed BIOSes and such ...

We dont use the BIOS for ATA DMA....
What do you mean with the above statement ?

> So now I know, why even buying a separate ATA PCI controller didn't
> work ... so in this case its not the harddisk ...

????

The motherboard has to be severely broken if a PCI controller wont work...
What HW are we talking about here ?

-Søren