Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet tcp_output.c

Garrett Wollman writes:
> > I wonder if this has anything to do with why the default
> > interface max transmit queue is IFQ_MAXLEN == 50. Seems
> > like a rather high number to me. I wonder how they came
> > up with this number.
>
> The default used to be 100.

Yikes. It seems like a more sensible approach would be to:

 (a) Measure queue length by counting bytes instead of packets

 (b) Define the max queue length in terms of time (IFQ_MAXDELAY?)
     instead of bytes, e.g.:

       ifp->if_maxq = ifp->if_baudrate * IFQ_MAXDELAY

"50 packets" can mean wildy different things to a 14.4 modem
vs. a 100baseT Ethernet.

-Archie