Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        gram@cequrux.com
Subject:   Re: Linking both aout and elf libraries

In article <398E9E37.9E3A482B@cequrux.com>, Graham Wheeler
<gram@cequrux.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to build the system so that a single executable can
> be linked against both aout format and elf format libraries?

No, there isn't.

> I know that NetBSD can do this (and in fact does this by default
> AFAIK),

Are you sure?  I don't have a NetBSD system, but I would be extremely
surprised if it could do that -- _extremely_ surprised.  There are
many obstacles, not least of which is the fact that C language global
symbols have different naming conventions in a.out than in ELF.  For
example, if you reference a global symbol "foo" in a C program, it
comes out as "_foo" in a.out objects but as "foo" in ELF objects.  I
suppose this could be hacked around with enough work, but it's hard
for me to believe that anybody would decide it was worth the effort.

John