Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:27:12 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Michael VanLoon" <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hardware List" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Best behaved  drives for FreeBSD?

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:14:42 -0700, Michael VanLoon wrote:

>Actually, from what I understand, the cables from ATA33 and lower are
>different from the ATA66 cable, and the ATA66 cable is also used by ATA100.
>I'm not an expert on this, however.

I got a good reply yesterday that explained this.
ATA66 drives need different cables from ATA33 to work on ATA66
ATA100 drives need yet different cables from ATA33 and ATA66

ATA100 drives will work with ATA66 cables, but will downgrade to
ATA66 speeds.

Don't really know about ATA33 cables, but I think they have a
different number of pins.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate