Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:10:20 -0500
From:      "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@northwestern.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: moving from Debian Linux

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 12:09:07PM -0300, Jan Pfeifer wrote:
> I'm just trying out FreeBSD (4.1), coming from Debian/Linux

This is what I did, and have not regretted the decision.

> 1. I tried configuring my ethernet card by hand, using ifconfig, and
> it worked out. But where (or using which program) should I configure
> it permanently ?

/etc/rc.conf.

> is there
> some other docs I'm missing ?

You could try "The Complete FreeBSD," which came with my CD-ROM set. I
find using both a good option.

> it didn't install any /etc/resolv.conf, should I
> create it ?

Yes.

> 2. it would be nice if both systems (FreeBSD and Linux) would share
> the same /home/ partition. Which (and why?) partition format should I
> use: ufs or ext2 ?

Well, the short answer is "Kill the Debian distribution and just use
FreeBSD."

UFS/FFS is by no means "experimental." There are several reports I've
read stating that UFS/FFS is better than ext2, but this could be
fodder for a flame war.

> 3. to configure XFree86 for FreeBSD I just copied my linux
> configuration file, changed the fonts and pointer sections. Very
> strangely, when X started, my monitor (a ViewSonic 17",
> 1280x1024x60Hz) would complain about invalid frequency ... The card is
> a S3 Savage4,and XFree86 is 6.3.3.6 in both systems. Any idea about
> what could be causing this ? (I tried lower frequencies, like
> 1024x768x60Hz, and then it worked ...)

I really don't know. But I wouldn't be averse to quickly running
xf86config or XF86Setup to make a fresh file. I've done this so many
times that it takes about 1 minute.

> 4. I noticed the ports and packaging system uses
> /usr/local/... directories to store the installed
> programs/packages. Where does local programs that I wish to
> install goes ?

This ain't Debian: All local programs go into /usr/local (or
/usr/X11R6) while all base programs go into /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, etc.

You might be interested in the /var/db/pkg directory. This holds all
the information files for de-installing local programs. So, if you've
installed bash-2.04, then you could remove it with pkg_delete
/var/db/pkg/bash-2.04/

> sorry for the basic questions, I just don't have anyone around that
> uses FreeBSD to help me here :)

Well, we're here! One thing: I must admit that Debian does a better
job with package management and X menu construction. Apt-get is
wonderful, and there really isn't anything so easy at that here with
FreeBSD. And there are no menu scripts that will install nicely
organized menus for you. Menu customization is up to you by hacking a
program's rc file.
--
David Kanter
djkanter@northwestern.edu