Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 16:57:56 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Unknown" driver gobbles resources??

In message <39969072.EED2B8F6@wireless.net> Devin Butterfield writes:
: So my question is this: Do I need to do anything special to recover the
: resources from the unknown driver so that during loading *my* module can
: get the resources it needs?? Do I need to add something to my identify,
: probe, or attach routines to make this work right?

With modern enough versions of -current, you shouldn't have to do
anything at all to make this work.  It should just happen.  And you'll
likely not need an identify routine.  The Unknown device just sucks up
the plug and play resources.  Therefore, there's already a device node
in the tree addociated with that plug and play hardware, so your probe
routine will just be called.

However, this is fairly recent (like on the order of the first part of
July, 2000).  Before that you did ineed have to jump though many many
hoops to make this work.

Warner