Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:26:20 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.co.za>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/scripts dokern.sh

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 07:45:30PM +0200, G=E9rard Roudier wrote:
>=20
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, John Hay wrote:
>=20
> > >=20
> > > I think it is time to switch -current to sym-only.  No disrespect t=
owards the
> > > ncr driver writer intended, but the sym driver is well maintained, =
robust,
> > > up-to-date, not implicated in the recurring fxp+ncr bugs, and suppo=
rts all
> > > the hardware.
> >=20
> > It does not support all hardware yet. I have an old 810 card that don=
't
> > even want to boot using the sym driver. It just go into a loop of pri=
nting
> > errors at the stage where it should probe the disks. The same machine
> > works just fine with the ncr driver.
>=20
> The PCI status reported by the device indicates a PCI parity error.=20
>=20
> > sym0: PCI STATUS =3D 0x8100
>                        ^bit 0x8000 -> Signaled PCI parity error.
>=20
> On the other hand, the chip reported a MASTER DATA PARITY ERROR detecte=
d.
>=20
> > sym0:0: ERROR (c0:0) (8-0-0) (0/3) @ (scripta 170:720d0000).
>                  ^DSTAT bit 0x40 -> Master Data Parity Error.
>=20
> It means that the NCR device detected such an error when acting as a
> master, either in some data it tried to read, or the error has been
> signaled by the PCI target while the NCR was writing data to that PCI
> target.
>=20
> So, it is not the driver that failed, but the PCI hardware, given that =
PCI
> parity checking is mandatory for PCI-SCSI controllers as we know.

Be careful. While this is true, there are combinations of Alpha hardware
with specific PCI exp cards where DEC/CPQ recommends/insists on disabling
PCI parity checking via the SRM console.

I don't remember ever having seen this requirement for the ncr/sym 810s
though

YMMV..

--=20
Wilko Bulte  	 					wilko@freebsd.org