Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:36:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Tomas Hodan <tomas@hodan.sk>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridging and freebsd crash

> Robert Watson writes:
> > I'm beginning to feel that we might want to revamp the current bridging
> > framework, combining the best aspects of the current work with the some of
> > the structural framework from the OpenBSD implementation.  I haven't had
>
> I'll restate my suggestion: rewrite the bridging code as a netgraph node.

Ok, sorry but at this point i think i need to say this on the list.
People, do not take this as a personal attack as it is not.

Archie- it's much simpler than that. Bridging+ipfw in 3.x did not
have the problems that people is mentioning -- at least i have had
quite a few of them in use for a long time now and no reports for
weird crashes (i am specifically referring to the picobsd images
available from my web site which is almost exactly the code in the
RELENG_3 tree).

The problems in 4.x/5.x are likely due to improper mbuf handling
(specifically, these mbufs are shared between device drivers and
in some cases upper layers in the protocol stack, which is fine
but requires a bit of care in doing things, and timing is very much
hardware dependent), and some code that was deleted, all of this
is related to your ether_input() changes.

As it told you at that time, I agreed on the change in principle
(as we gain a lot in terms of reduced code bloat and more supported
cards); however, doing the commit without testing that bridging
was still working with all features after the change was really
a bad idea -- and i also told you this.

I don't want to look as the one who complains "i knew it" as i did
not have the time (nor i do now, at least in the near future) to
do the required testing and fix things, but, alas, i did not commit
such code!

Redoing things differently is not going to help if the problem is
lack of time and testing.

	cheers
	luigi