Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:24:07 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: PORTREVISION and PORTEPOCH

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 06:19:48PM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> I don't know about other shells, but bash seems to think ':' is a
> special character (it quotes ':' with a '\' when it does filename
> completion).  It probably doesn't mean anything, but there's no need
> to take chances, can we use another symbol for delimiting
> ${PORTEPOCH}?

How about $ ?  Hmm.. maybe not.  What about ``.'' ?

> Yes, I think these two sound fine.  However, I have a little concern,
> in that it will further fragment the /var/db/pkg directory and make it
> harder to people to manage it.
>
> For instance, when a port with a lot of dependents, say, jpeg-6b, is
> updated to jpeg-6b_1, the old dependency information will remain in
> /var/db/pkg/jpeg-6b/+REQUIRED_BY and be left behind when jpeg-6b_1 is
> installed, as there is no check for jpeg-6b when jpeg-6b_1 is added.
>
> This is of course not a problem of this proposal, just a manifest of
> an old problem that could be triggerred with having more different
> versions in the user's machine.  I need someone to work with me on the
> pkg_* tools so we'll have better upgrade support, any takers?

Your "problem" is just a result of the historical incapability of pkg_*
to properly manage "upgrades".  The PORTEPOCH/PORTREVISION thing will
help us improve them, not make it harder.

I'm currently working on a better mechanism (in fact I promised Kris that
I'd send an email about my proposal to -ports yesterday, but I've not
had time lately.. okay, I admit, I've been playing too much quakeworld
lately.. teehee.. i'll get around to finishing my proposal ;).

Eventually code will be available; I'd prefer to iron out the ideas at
this idea stage.  My goal for implementing the new system is
mid-October, around BSDCon.

--
Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---