Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:44:51 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disabling xhost(1) Access Control

I want users to use user-level X access controls, that is, xauth(1)
and the magic cookies. I do NOT want people using xhost(1) access
controls.

FreeBSD's XFree86 (unlike so many other X dists) defaults to enabling
xauth. The problem is, it does not prevent lusers from still doing
things like put 'xhost +' in their .login and defeating the
system. (Grrrr...)

I've been searching and cannot find a way to disable xhost(1) level
access. And I mean disabling as in defaulting to everything locked out
as opposed to defaulting to wide open. If a user were to 'xhost +' it
would not open things up.

Is there such a way to do this (aside 'rm /usr/bin/xhost' and setting
all user writable filesystems noexec)? This is for xdm(1) setups and
not necessarily xinit(1).
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com