Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:39:57 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, marcel@cup.hp.com, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM JDK fails due to lack of SA_SIGINFO support

In <200009060447.WAA23183@nomad.yogotech.com>, Nate Williams wrote:
> > Currently the IBM jdk & jvm don't run under our linux abi.  This had
> > previously been attributed to the "sigaltstack: Cannot allocate
> > memory" message one sees when running it.  Upon further investigation,
> > this appears to be a red herring.
>
> Umm, I'd believe this except that someone sent me a patch (which I've
> forwarded to Marcel) that fixes this and is related to the sigalstack
> error above.  At least the author of the patch claims that the IBM JDK
> now runs successfully on his box, running some version of FreeBSD. :)
>
> > The "real" problem is as simple
> > (or, rather, complex) as the fact that we don't support SA_SIGINFO
> > style signal handlers under the linux abi.
>
> [ Great explanation deleted ]
>
> Hmm, I'm at a loss.  I've heard that things work fine with the
> signalstack issues fixed, so maybe the java program that he is running
> doesn't tickle the bug, although I find that rather difficult to believe
> given that almost every Java program known to man is multi-threaded.

Maybe the patch that someone sent you just adds SA_SIGINFO arguments
to every signal handler?  That should make SA_SIGINOF using programs
work and not break applications just using 1 argument.  It would break
non-SA_SIGNINFO arguemnts using handler, expecting a second argument:
void hand(int s, struct sigcontext_struct context);

Could you send me the patch or verify that it break the latter kind of
applications?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/