Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:16:34 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PortsNG (was Re: Ports Options Paper)

On Sat 2000-09-09 (00:37), Steve Price wrote:
> Please let's forget about the 10 perl scripts, 3 acts of congress, and
> 2 acts of God for a few minutes.  Let's define the problem fully first
> and then start talking about ways in which we can address them.  I have
> a feeling that we'll come up with several distinct tasks that we can design
> together and code in parallel.  For instance, we'll probably end up
> needing a better (read, more flexible) package format in the long run,
> but we must define our expectations of it before we jump in and start
> coding it otherwise we'll be back here next year doing the same thing.
> If we ever get through hacking hacks that is.

Firstly, I'm only responding to things that come directly to mind
immediately, and if I don't respond to something, you can be sure you've
got me thinking deeply.  I'm pondering setting up a Wiki-like system to
describe what we all want, and how we each thinks it can be achieved,
and what background materials we make these assumptions from - OpenBSD
ports, NetBSD pkgsrc, Debian's dpkg/apt system, &c.

I don't think the package format is in the least significant to the
problem, except possibly the use of zip-like archives to only grab
headers, and to perform some sort of package signing.  These are both
dealt with in the package format described and implemented in libh
currently.

> Sounds pretty easy so let's take this one step further.  Let's suppose
> the same libfoo port is updated to a new version and now can also be
> built WITH_ICK.  Here's where it gets tricky.  Are WITH_BAR and WITH_ICK
> mutually exclusive or can both of them be on at the same time?  If the
> former then the new system needs to have the smarts to recognise that
> there is a conflict and do 'something' about it.  In the latter case
> we need to have in place the infrastructure to build libfoo, libfoo_bar,
> libfoo_ick, and libfoo_bar_ick.

One unexplored bit of functionality I had in my portconf dashboard a
year and a half ago required "multiple packages from one port", in that
it was an auto-explore on all the available options (that affected the
build) and generating a package with each set of compatible options:

{
   { !foo, !bar, !baz },
   { !foo, !bar, baz },
   { !foo, bar, !baz },
   { !foo, bar, baz },
   { foo, !bar, !baz },
}

I think this may be overkill, but it's probably something that can
easily be implemented in an automatic way, and definitely something that
can be implemented in a manual way (cf. OpenBSD flavours, portconf
'classes') even in the one-port-one-package way.

> Things like this are what we *must* nail down before we to decide to
> pilfer, purchase, or code it ourselves.  Am I the only one that feels
> this way?

The way things usually work is:

a) You provide thoughts, and no code, and you're told you're just
talking hot air, and that you're an arm-chair general, and that you
don't understand all the implications;

b) You provide the code, but no documentation, and you're told that the
change requires documentation and a design document, and that you're
just hacking, and that without the design doc, you can't possibly
understand all the implications;

c) You provide code and documentation, and you get no feedback.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems