Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:34:17 -0700
From:      Mike Murphree <murphree1@ispchannel.com>
To:        igorr@crosswinds.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd vs. UPS

> Personally I use very cheap Sendon 1000 UPSes. They have serial
> port, but I could not make cable with their description :-(
> But their UPSes have very loud BEEPEEEP :-))
> Also I had some APC UPSes, but they died after 2.5 years

This topic is somewhat timely since I lost power to my
machine this weekend. A loud BEEP wouldn't have done
any good as I was away from it too long at the time.
A low power suspend mode triggered by the UPS to extend
its run time could have been useful. The PC was on a
6 year old APC which has been reliable though I changed
out the batteries as preventative maintenance a couple
of years ago.

Mike