Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:26:44 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jmslivko@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>, kris@FreeBSD.ORG, roman@xpert.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 08:00:17PM -0400, Jonathan M. Slivko wrote:

> If you remove a port because of it's security concerns, then your robbing
> the average user the choice between what mail client to use. Also, it's not
> the job of the FreeBSD development team/patch/security team to weed out all
> the insecure programs, the responsibility lies mainly on the systems

Yes it is. Allowing the user to install insecure software only leaves
them with a false sense of security and the feeling of betrayal when
they get exploited through it.

> administrator that are going to be dealing with the backlash of their
> decisions. So, I think that the choice should be there, just let the system
> administrator read up on pine's security flaws and try to work around them
> if he truely wants to run it.

They can't be worked around, it's pine itself which is the
problem. Again, the system administrator who doesn't know about
vulnerabilities with a program is unwittingly wide open for attack. I
don't find that acceptable, especially when thats software that comes
from the FreeBSD ports collection.

> Just because your thinking of marking it as "dangerous", doesn't
> mean everyone running FreeBSD is gonna stop using it.  If they can't
> get it from ports, they'll just get the source and install it
> themselves, regardless. So, we might as well have the patches and
> fixes for what we can and leave what we, as the freebsd team can't
> accomplish to the systems administrators, who are ultimately
> responsible for the action they take. Personally, I run pine on my
> FreeBSD machines and I am very happy with it. Especially some of the
> addons are extemely helpful.

It should be a wilful, informed decision to go out and install
something on your machine which makes it vulnerable to a security
hole. I'm not about to compromise the security of FreeBSD
installations by leaving the pine ports able to be installed with no
warning. What I probably will do is the same thing I've done with a
number of other terminally-insecure-but-useful ports, stick a Big
Scary Warning on the front of it which users must agree to before it
will install.

Kris