Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:29:17 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 11:43:20PM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> Still, I think the default should be "insecure" install, since most
> machines are firewalled.

This brings up a funny problem.

The people putting up boxes behind firewalls are typically the ones
who know what they are doing, your pro and semi-pro sysadmin. They
don't need the 'dumb defaults' on the system to turn stuff on for
them. They could and often are going to customize that stuff anyway.

The people putting up boxes naked on the net are many time your home
coax cable, DSL, etc. users. They are less likely to know what they
are doing. They are the ones the dumb defaults are aimed at.

So, we have an interesting situation. The very person the dumb
defaults are aimed at, the UNIX newbie, is the same person who is most
likely to be running the machine naked on the net and have the least
understanding of the security implications of his actions.

Worrying about how the default install affects the experienced user is
not too much of a concern since the experienced user knows how to turn
stuff on and off (but personally, I'd rather have it all off).

I guess I am one of the few that thinks we should default off for the
good of the newbie user, rather than save the newbie 5 minutes of RTFM
to turn on telnet and ftp. Just everyone hope no exploit like the
recent SGI telnetd bug is ever found hiding in FreeBSD's telnetd.