Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:02:41 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automatic updates (was Re: How long for -stable...)

In message <200010040341.VAA27905@nomad.yogotech.com> Nate Williams writes:
: [ Culled the list way down, and moved it to -hackers ]
:
: > We could also look into providing an "update" command or something
: > which would pull either sources or binaries over from a snapshot box
: > and make the process of getting up to the branch-head a lot easier.
: > It's long been on my wishlist and I'm at the point where I'd be
: > willing to devote some BSDi resources to both writing the software
: > and setting up a build box for creating the relevant binaries on an
: > ongoing basis.
:
: Whoo hoo.  Sounds like a *great* plan!

I think that we can do a lot with cvsupd.  I've used cvsupd to grab
binaries on an experimental basis and it seems to work great.  I've
also worked at companies that did this on all their workstations on
boot and they updated one area and then rebooted 20-odd machines to
update them.  Not without its problems, but a lot less hair than even
an installworld.

Warner