Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:39:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cp@bsdi.com (Chuck Paterson)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: we need atomic_t

> 	It seems to me that the problem with atomic_t is that there
> is no place in MI code where it is safe to use this because it
> doesn't have a guaranteed size.

Respectfully, relying on something being so large that it "will
never overflow" is asking for trouble.

Instead, the wrap boundary should be protected to allow wrapping,
and we shouldn't give a damn about the size of atomic_t.

The idea that it needs to be a counter in the first place is,
well, pretty silly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---