Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:04:24 -0700
From:      David Harnick-Shapiro <davidhs@intelenet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newer ports on older FreeBSD?

With increasing frequency, I find that when I try to make something
under /usr/ports, the source file tarchive isn't even available out
there anymore.

I'm running 3.4-RELEASE (hey, it seemed the most stable choice back
when I installed it :-} ).

I tried to update my whole /usr/ports tree (my first and only attempt
to cvsup something), but that broke everything -- I think the included
files (like "bsd.port.mk") are too different?

My first question:  was there, in fact, a major reconfiguration of the
ports system since the days of 3.4-RELEASE?

The real question:  what's the cleanest/easiest/best way to upgrade my
/usr/ports?  (short of re-installing a newer OS, which I'm sure would
do it, but seems a little excessive :-)  Thanks in advance!

--------
David Harnick-Shapiro
<david.harnick-shapiro@firstworld.com>