Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:39:56 -0700
From:      James <j@evilcode.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   suggestion

After having edited several Makefiles for ports, and then
having them overwritten during a cvsup, I have come up with
a suggestion that I think many people would benefit from.

The suggestion is to take most of the variables out of the
Makefile that have to do with the port's configure script,
and put them into an optional file (Makefile.opts for
example), and have the Makefile include that file if it
exists. Then it checks for the existance of several
variables (like CONFIGURE_ARGS) and sets them only IF they
aren't already set.. thus giving people the option to
customize the options without having these customizations
overwritten during a cvsup.

What does everyone think of this? Would this be hard to
implement?