Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:35:57 -0400
From:      "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc

Hi,

   I specifically left the output of dd available so that it
would be more readily apparent how much data we were seeding
into /dev/random.  -current isn't supposed to be used by
the general 'user', so I wasn't real worried about the
output (it wasn't/isn't permanent).

   As to backgrounding...

   Depends on your definition of block... Yes, it could go
in the background, but what if the system finished booting
and a request to /dev/random occurs before the seeding is
finished?

-John

ps: On a side note, I'm seeing some interaction on a machine
    with an mfs and /dev/random. I haven't tracked it down
    yet, but why would an mfs require input from /dev/random?
    (this is occurring at boot time).

----- Jordan K. Hubbard's Original Message -----