Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:57:10 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@bsdwins.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc

[[ moved to arch ]]

In message <20001023195335.A45719@bsdwins.com> "John W. De Boskey" writes:
:   However, the idea(s) in general are good. To take his ideas
: in a slightly different direction, What about reading data from
: the kernel from random locations?

Bootstrapping problems.  You can't pick good random numbers until you
have a good random state.  Since many many people run GENERIC, you
can't expect things to be too random.  Before I did the mergemaster
upgrade, I would always get "A cons is an object with feelings"
fortune every single first login after reboot....

The diskless workstations are an interesting problem because the
current scheme of writing to / exposes the random state to the entire
network....

Warner