Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:40:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:Sparc port going 64 bit

Wes Peters  (wes@softweyr.com) wrote:
> You're free to work on whatever you want, but the general consensus for all
> of us keepers of SPARC 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, 20s, IPCs, and IPXs, was that it
> would be hard enough to get a port going for modern 64-bit machines, let
> alone doing it for ancient hardware, and NetBSD and OpenBSD support them
> quite adequately already.  FWIW, FreeBSD isn't really interested in "hobby"
> ports anymore.

This is why there ain't gonna be an Ultra Port for a while.
Most of the folks who will volunteer to work on the stuff don't have or
want to purchase Ultras...

FWIW -- this is why Linux is getting all the different platform support
and we're not.  If it ran better under full load and ran with a more
reliable file system I'd be worried about FreeBSD's survival. 8-)
FreeBSD is the best Unix for i386... but we've not shown any real moves to
the multiplatform area.

A lot of us have scrounged Sparc2's (if I could scrounge a 10 or 20 it'd
be running Solaris 8 to be compatible with the office for work at home).

My two Sparc's (Sparc2 class machines) are in the garage with Solaris
Linux, OpenBSD and NetBSD.

I've pretty much given up the idea of FreeBSD on the Sparc 10's
and stuff at work so I've gone back to Solaris on them.  NetBSD
and OpenBSD were ok -- but they didn't have the ports depth of FreeBSD
and they were a bit harder to work with and support.

It's just the way it seems to be.  I'm sure core would love to see the
port happen -- just there's no real strong leader on the Sparc side
doing the coordination and push.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately for me -- since I wanted the job change
after 14 years of Sysadmin work) -- I'm moving out of Sysadmin and am
decommissioning the FreeBSD boxes at my office and moving all to Solaris to
make it easier for them to find a qualified person to admin there.
(Linux, Solaris, WinNT, Win95/98).

Bill