Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:19:06 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

In message <20001108201129.C62344@bonsai.knology.net> Steve Price writes:
: On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 06:55:29PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
: #
: # I have a patch that makes /bin and /sbin optionally non-static.  For
: # small systems that have / and /usr on the same file system, you can
: # save about 5M-6M of disk space by making /bin and /sbin shared.
:
: This might be a bit off-topic but I wonder how much this would
: help the PicoBSD distribution if it isn't done this way already?

None.  PicoBSD uses cruncgen to compile all its binaries into one
super binary.  There are no shared libraries.

I'm not using the PicoBSD model for two reasons.  One, we need the
flexibility to update one file on the part in the field.  This isn't
easy to do with the compressed image of the file system in place.

Second, we'd rather spend the RAM on application space rather than MFS
space.

This basically makes it easier to build my "small FreeBSD image" using
some custom scripts (I posted them once and there wasn't much
interest).  It works well for creating subsets of the entire system,
but it is an expert tool right now requiring some care and feeding as
the system drift away from the initial version (eg more changed its
name to less, so make install from src/usr.bin/more no longer worked).

Warner