Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:15:28 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2940U2W/2940U3W vs 29160

I have two SCSI Ultra160 drives but have yet to decide upon an adapter.
The box is a dual XEON and those disks will be the only drives.  The
box is destined to be a high end workstation in the short term (it might
wind up being a server).

Given that I have only two drives, I've been told that the 39160 would be
overkill

Similarly, I've been told that that if the U3 card wasn't much more than
the U2, then go for the U3.  Otherwise, it's not worth it given that I'm
using only two of those drives.  The point being that you need large
numbers of those disks to take advantage of U3.

Given I'm going to start with FreeBSD 4.1.1 on the box, what would you
recommend in terms of what card to use?

thanks.

drive details:
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1121