Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:36:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        void <float@firedrake.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper permissons on /var/mail

<<On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:18:09 +0000, void <float@firedrake.org> said:

> I have a similar problem -- every time I make world, perms on /var/mail
> get set to 775.  Mutt considers my mailbox read-only until I change it
> to 1777.

It is misconfigured (or perhaps just broken).  1777 mode for /var/mail
is insecure, but was necessary in the mists of ancient past, before
UNIX learned to do file locking.  Unless your mail spool is shared
over NFS (don't do that), locking is reliable and .lock files should
never be used or relied upon.

-GAWollman