Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:47:48 +0100
From:      Rene de Vries <rene@canyon.demon.nl>
To:        Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building ISO image

Alexandr,

Yes, this is possible. What you need is:
	- a CVS repository (preferably nearby, or on your local disk)
	- $CVSROOT should be set to this remository
	- a complete src tree
	- lots of diskspace
	- time, time, time, time....

cd /usr/src/release
vi Makefile
- remove the '#' on line 17 (BUILDNAME) and modify the
  4.0-RELEASE -> 4.2-RELEASE (or some other name for STABLE)
- add '#' at the beginning of line 20,21,23 (DATE, BASE, BUILDNAME)
- remove the '#' at line 24 (CHROOTDIR) and modify the path to some place
  large enough to hold a few gigabyte.
- remove the '#' at line 26 (RELEASETAG) and set the var to
  RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE (this is where you define the version you are going
  to build).
- remove the '#' at lines 61,62 (NODOC and NOPORTS) and set them as you wish
  (I usually only set NODOC=YES and leave the '#' in front of NOPORTS)
- save the Makefile
make
.... wait a few hours depending on your hardware ....
cd $CHROOTDIR/R/cdrom/disc1
mkisofs -o ~/FreeBSD42.iso -j -r -b floppies/boot.flp .
/* you could test before burning the cd by:
	vnconfig -c /dev/vn0 ~/FreeBSD42.iso
	mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0 /mnt
	cd /mnt
	... browse around ...
	cd /
	umount /mnt
	vnconfig -u /dev/vn0
*/
... and burn this image onto a cd (cdrecord) ...

This CD should be bootable, it won't have any packages nor will it have
XFree, but I just installed a fresh system using such a CD and it worked!!!

I hope this helps,

Rene

--
Rene de Vries                        http://www.tcja.nl mailto:rene@tcja.nl