Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:46:35 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org (Mike Smith)
Cc:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh), freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

Mike Smith wrote:

> > In message <200011291927.eATJRZF30602@mass.osd.bsdi.com> Mike Smith writes:
> > : >
> > : > Also, does anybody know if dangerously dedicated works :-)
> > :
> > : Still uses an active type 165 partition. 8)
> >
> > So what happens if you have two 165 partitions?  Eg, have a dummy one
> > that's 1M or <sizeof memory * 1.1>M in size that has no FreeBSD disk
> > label on it and comes before the real FreeBSD partition...
>
> No idea, yet.  The FreeBSD bootstrap might not be happy with that,
> although if the second one was active, it ought to work.
>
> I have a chance to play with one of the offending systems tonight; I'm
> going to try as many experiments as I can.

As far as boot2 is concerned, multiple FreeBSD partitions are fine.
It will select the active partition (as flagged by the boot manager)
if one exists, otherwise the first partition.

So a possible workaround might involve having FreeBSD in a second
type 165 partition.

On a related topic (just to add my voice to other clarifications),
FreeBSD 4.2 is still using John's two-sector version of boot0, but
that almost certainly has nothing to do with what's going wrong on
Thinkpads.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com