Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:48:55 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Copy

Hi,
> And incomplete. I know you can connect the drive, boot, and use the
> /stand/sysinstall utility to carve the drive up into partitions for
> filesystems and swap areas.

exactly.

> If you want, it can newfs partitions so you can mount the new partitions

This is neccessary if you want to transfer your system onto a new disk.

> and user tar/cpio to transfer files.

These programs are the wrong tools to do it. They can be used to handle
regular files and {hard,soft} links but they will fail for device nodes,
sparse files and all the other nice features. Use dump, dump or dump:

cd /
mount /new-root-partition /mnt
dump 0af - | (cd /mnt ; restore -rf -)
umount /mnt

Repeat this for all filesystems. I've used this technique several times
to move my system to a newer drive or to rearrange the filesystems.

> What do you do to init the swap and set the boot sector/MBR stuff?

You don't have to initialize swap space. The boot code can be written
by disklabel -B <new disk>.

> The risk of toasting your "real" drive is very nonzero as well.

Murphy was an optimist. The first step is to create and verify a backup
on a reliable and removable medium.

/s/Udo
--
I have learned over the years, that if it is the truth you seek, then
honesty on your own part, is the best policy. That and torture.