Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 05:42:19 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        "Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA)" <sama@supridad.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD security check --footnote

Forgot to mention, the periodic process is controlled by by cron(8),
type "man cron" for more information on how cron works and can be
configured.

You can view the process by looking at /etc/crontab, for example:

# do daily/weekly/monthly maintenance
1       3       *       *       *       root    periodic daily
30      3       *       *       6       root    periodic weekly
30      5       1       *       *       root    periodic monthly

however, you shouldn't edit this file, but rather redirect all mail for
root@yourhost.com to useraccount@yourhost.com (or elsewhere) using your
mailing system (for example, I use qmail, so I have all mail destined
for root/postmaster sent to my user account instead where I normally
read email)

Chris