Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:50:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/23346: Add missing dependency for unzip to the xmms port

The following reply was made to PR ports/23346; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, dburr@borg-cube.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:40:38 +0100 (CET)

 > The xmms port supports Winamp/X11amp "skins", which are basically
 > ZIP files.  To this end, xmms requires the 'unzip' command to unzip
 > them.  However, the xmms port does not enforce this dependency, as a
 > result, on a default install skin files do not work and cause a
 > "unzip: command not found" error to be printed on standard output.

 Hmm.  I'm wondering if we really want this dependency.  I mean, the
 port has loads of dependencies as it is, and I'd hate to put even more
 unconditional dependencies into it.  Also, the result of not having
 this dependency becomes very clear (I think) to the user if he indeed
 comes into the situation where he needs it.  So, the question is: what
 are the policies usually taken here?  Do we also include dependencies
 for for the really obscure cases?

 	eSk