Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:40:55 +0100
From:      alex@big.endian.de (Alexander Langer)
To:        Abdullah Koro <koro@freebsd.or.id>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contributing on Translating FreeBSD Documentation

Thus spake Abdullah Koro (koro@freebsd.or.id):

> project is translating documentation like:
> - FreeBSD Handbook
> - etc
> into our native Language, Bahasa Indonesia.
> could you point and give me explanation on how to start and manage the
> translation?

Hello!

You should get the cvs version from the doc tree.
Please read the FreeBSD Documentation Project Primer to find out how
to get it and what you need as well.

Then you'll find the English version in the directory
en_US.ISO_8859-1/

If you want to translate the handbook for example, I suggest you copy
the english version into the same directory in a directory called
id_ID.ISO_8859-1 or whatever charset you use.
Copy the Makefile stuff and everything else what is needed as well.

Then translate the stuff you find in the *.sgml files.

Check out the German version, for example, whose handbook contains
only some translated chapters at the moment.  You can see how we do
it.
A general good idea is to add a remark "Original version" to each file
to be able to track changes in the English version.

Alex
--
cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory