Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:59:59 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail problems

++ 31/12/00 18:29 -0500 - Dave VanAuken:
>4.1.1 on intel box

If you get a chance, cvsup to 4.2-stable.

> [snip]
>
>**problem 1: cannot set root password for jail - get "Mismatch; try
>again, EOF to quit." continuously dumped to the screen... have to
>reboot.

weird.. maybe a stdin problem?  It only asks you once, then it just scrolls
that?  (once you get your jail running below, try running this again and see if
you get the same result...)

>skipping that problem... we set accounts, timezone, etc...  not
>installing any packages yet
>add ip address to NIC... ifconfig... as in man for jail
>mount the file system as in man
>run jail command as in man
>	jail /usr/home/lcadmin testhostname 192.168.1.111 /bin/sh /etc/rc
>
>do a ps to ensure the jailed processes are running...  yes
>
>**problem 2: cannot ping to IP address from host machine, cannot
>connect to IP address via telnet - get "All Network ports in use" from
>other machines and "time out" from host machine

Time out from host machine and you can't ping it from the host machine -- sounds
like you aliased the IP wrong.  What is the exact ifconfig line you typed?

All network ports == can't find ttys to use.  Did you 'sh MAKEDEV jail' in your
$jail/dev directory?

>[snip]
>chflags: /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*: No such file or directory
>chmod: /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*: No such file or directory
>chown: /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*: No such file or directory
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This confirms that you haven't MAKEDEV jail'd correctly (or the MAKEDEV you have
is problematic -- this is why you might want to cvsup to 4.2-stable)

>[snip]
>/dev/ttyv0: no
>such file
Again..

>[snip]

Good luck -- jail is a really neat toy once you have it running.

-pete

--
Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Databits Network Services, Inc. <http://databits.net>;