Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:41:10 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, phk@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Reinstatement of CIRCLEQ

[ moved to -arch since this is really the correct location for it ]

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:24:17AM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Put your complaints about CIRCLEQ in the manual page, and people can choose
> > based on facts.  All this commit does is reduce code portability.
>
> I tend to agree, for what it is worth.  CIRCLEQ() is an expected part of
> the 4.4BSD API and an expected part of <sys/queue.h>.  We dont have to use
> it, but I feel it is a mistake to nuke an API that is expected to be there.

I've never read Knuth's book and am not particularly knowledgeable about
queue(3).  But I think that unless a good reason (which I have not seen
yet) is given for why CIRCLEQ() was nuked, it should be put back.

Especially since there doesn't seem to be any kind of move like this in
the NetBSD or OpenBSD camps.  So this might end up biting FreeBSD in the
ass someday as far as portability goes.

So, why remove CIRCLEQ()?

--
wca