Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:13:29 -0600
From:      AGX <agx@linux.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        asami@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: a CUI controlpanel for FreeBSD

>1.3.3. The FreeBSD Development Model
>Contributed by Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>.
>The development of FreeBSD is a very open and flexible process,
>FreeBSD being literally built from the
>contributions of hundreds of people around the world, as can be
>seen from our list of contributors. We
>are constantly on the lookout for new developers and ideas, and
>those interested in becoming more
>closely involved with the project need simply contact us at the
>FreeBSD technical discussions mailing
>list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>.

Well, i checked out /etc/rc and /etc/rc.conf
i would like to port my controlpanel from GNU/Linux to FreeBSD
is this possibile? I did developed a lot of script to configure
a lot of system settings but in GNU/Linux you have 364376 different
distributions that are all different, i tried to develop my own
but seems that common system components like GNU libc change each
5 minutes and does not seems more stable.

I toughta it would be a nice idea to port my work under FreeBSD
because i feel it more stable and reliable then GNU/Linux
what do you think about having an "additional" controlpanel
to do system configuration (mouse,keyboard,network,X11,postfix,etc.)
???

I firstly developed everything using cdialog but them are very buggy
togheter with somebody i did developed "libgringo" that is a generic
library that interface both ncurses and Gtk (depending how you
compiled it) and allow you to write script that can run both in console
both in X-Window.

I would like to know if you think that is usefull or not to do this
job or if there are more urgents work to do upon the FreeBSD distribution/
installation process. I've wasted 4 years trying to create my personalized
GNU/Linux distribution and i'm tired of to remake each time the same job.

Thank you in advance, Antonio Gallo

--
Ciao, AGX   http://www.antoniogallo.it
(o_         http://www.badpenguin.org    "Bad Penguin" GNU/Linux