Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:39:07 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 02:14 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> >
> > It's not that I want to talk you into something you don't
> > want.
>
> But that's exactly what you're trying to do.

Honestly -- no! :)  OK, I've been unclear there.  I did reply to
your message, but writing to lists I usually do so for a broader
audience -- for everything else I could use PM instead.  So my
continued proposal and discussion is mainly meant for those who
do have interest in making cron work the way many users expect it
to.  Maybe more silent readers may find reasons against the
proposal I fail to see, so far?  I have no doubt that there is
positive - while silent - agreement.

Although I recognize you've dealt with the subject in much
detail, know it's anything but trivial, and are aware that
FreeBSD currently has no real solution, I realize you like
telling all the concerned admins to shift their jobs around
instead of accepting code changes meaning to make things work
OOTB.  It's nothing I can change.  And it's nothing I would want
to change after some amount of effort.  We both (as well as
others) have stated our impressions and that they're quite fixed
and won't move.  Let's end it here.

> I will not bother to re-re-restate my points as to why what
> you're proposing is a bad idea.  Do all the testing you want,
> but make sure you understand that there will be vigorous
> resistance to incorporating your proposed changes.

I take notice of your (and Greg Black's) reservation / being
opposed, respect it and conclude that the change will have to
- default to the current behaviour (something quite usual for
  expanding changes)
- be well documented (something absolutely clear to all of us,
  strictly speaking it's way out of imagination for us how
  somebody could contribute undocumented stuff ... :)
- yet be enabled easily for those interested in the change to
  work for them and free up some of their resources for more
  important tasks
- maybe provide knobs (besides the on-off-switch) to customize
  behaviour in a more fine grained way

Looking at the echo returning so far I see _much_ more "yes" than
"nope" answers.  There's consent that *something* has to be done.
And I read the answers ranging from "yes, please do it!" (some
six) via "I don't care -- as long as there's no impact on me ..."
(one or two) to the few "I don't like it, I don't have this
problem / I don't see this as a problem" (two, and the
"explanation" is my guess -- but it's the only reason I could see
for this position).  Although I'm aware that statistics won't
work for these small numbers - ten people took part in the thread
so far - there's a trend visible to me. :>  When in doubt, one
could dig up in the archives how many threads took place in the
past that "cron does strange things", which would enormously put
weight on the "please do change something" section ...

BTW:  There's good news for those with a dislike regarding the
change:  While testing I'm stuck again, so there will be some
more delay.  It looks like I have to setup another OpenBSD
machine to look into it a little deeper.  Those who are
interested in the status reached so far may contact me off list.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net