Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:01:50 +1100 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.edu.au>
To:        Phillip Musumeci <phillip@pm.cse.rmit.EDU.AU>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minix and 2.11BSD for small BSD programs/libraries

Then Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> sash has very poor shell functionality. I would suggest using Minix sh
> which is very Bourne-like, and is also very small.
>
> BTW. if someone has the time and inclination to make a couple of ports for
> useful small Minix programs, I can provide the patches to make them run
> under FreeBSD.
> Andrzej Bialecki

I just like to agree with Andrzej that some of the applications and
libraries in Minix would be suitable for producing a small FreeBSD.

I'd also like to suggest 2.11BSD, which at present has most of the
functionality of 4.4BSD-Lite, but runs on the 16-bit PDP-11 platform.
Some of 2.11BSD is contaminated with AT&T UNIX code (mostly the kernel),
but much comes from 4.4BSD-Lite. So the source code from this system
might also be useful.

The only problem is how to get it. First you need to get a UNIX source
license. Easy. Read http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/archive_access.html
for details. Then go to

http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/ucb/2.11BSD

to retrieve the full source code. You can also find an exploded tree of
2.11BSD source code at

http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/Archive/PDP-11/Trees/2.11BSD/

I just checked, but the Bourne shell in the 2.11BSD code tree is the _real_
one written by Steve Bourne.

Cheers,
	Warren