Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:28:22 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        mbac@mmap.nyct.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Permissions on crontab..

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 12:18:42AM -0500, mbac@mmap.nyct.net wrote:

> Why is crontab suid root?
>
> I say to myself "To update /var/cron/tabs/ and to signal cron".
>
> Could crontab run suid 'cron'?
>
> If those are the only two things it needs to do, run cron as
> gid 'cron' and make /var/cron/tabs/ group writable by 'cron'.

I'm not sure how much this would help. Being able to write arbitary
crontabs is eqivelent to root access. Making a user or group who
can write cron jobs is almost equivelent to adding a second root
user. It would probably be better to spend the time looking at the
crontab source code for risky bits of code.

(I guess it provides some protection in the case where you are
making the crontab user read files it shouldn't. If you can make
it write files it shouldn't then you're getting into the root
equivelent area).

	David.